It’s Global Meetings Industry Day. Launched by Canadian event professionals in 2016, the now international day of advocacy spotlights the importance and value of face-to-face meetings for attendees, businesses, and communities.
“Meetings and conventions play an important role in our community,” explains Dean Clarke, General Manager of the South Okanagan Events Centre Complex and Regional Vice President for Spectra Venue Management. “Each year, the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre generates between 36,000 to 41,000 room nights. It’s at meetings and conventions that strong personal connections are made and positive business outcomes are generated. Managing the space for connections and business deals is something we’re very proud of.”
“For 2018 at the convention centre, we’re projecting to welcome over 140,000 people through the building, sell over 19,100 tickets for special events and drive 38,000 room nights from our diverse event mix,” adds Clarke.
This year, the convention centre welcomes back BC Water Waste Association Annual Conference & Trade Show for the first time since 2012 and adds three new consumer shows to the calendar that include next weekend’s inaugural Okanagan Makers Spring Market, The PentiCon June 9 and 10, and the inaugural Okanagan Fall Hunting & Outdoor Show on August 10, 11, and 12. For the remaining calendar year, the city-wide conventions include:
- Canadian Avalanche Association Annual General Meeting and Spring Conference, April 29 to May 4
- Aboriginal Business Match, May 7 to 9
- BC Water Waste Association Annual Conference & Trade Show, May 11 to 15
- World Financial Group Western Convention, May 17 to 19
- BC Conference of the United Church of Canada, May 30 to June 3
- Educational Facility Managers Association of BC Conference and Trade Show, June 4 to 8
- Edmonton Financial: Fall Retreat, October 25 to 28
For more information about 2018 events or to purchase tickets for upcoming special events and consumer shows, please visit www.pentictonconventioncentre.com.